Monday, May 13, 2013

Stuff Stuff Stuff

Date: May 9, 2013
Time: 5:00pm
Location: Family Thrift Center
Number: 17

I have so much stuff.  Clothes, hair accessories, purses, books, etc.  Seriously just stuff.  I know I'm not the only one because I have seen tons of articles on "organizing your stuff."  We, as Americans, kind of have a problem.  Since coming home from my experience abroad, I have noticed just how much I have.  Not only in comparison to other countries, but in comparison to other families in America as well.  Yeah, so I don't have the most expensive items out there, but I do have a lot.  Studying abroad and seeing how other countries live made me realize that I don't need everything I have and that I need to be more thankful for how much I do have.

I am certainly not saying I got rid of everything in my room, but I did have a small basket of items to give away this week.  My goal is to go through all of my stuff and give it away.  I don't need 30 teddy bears or 4 winter coats, but there may be 30 kids that need a teddy bear or 4 women that need a coat.  I kind of see it as I'm taking away from 30 kids by having these bears lined up in my closet.  Hopefully I'm not the only 20-something that still has teddy bears.  If you're reading this & you have some that you want to get rid of, let me know & I'll take them off your hands.  I am going to see if I can donate them to the Ronald McDonald House in Norfolk for the children in the hospital to have, or at least for their siblings to have while staying in the house.

Giving your stuff away is one of the easiest things you can do.  Some collection companies make it so easy they will come to your house to get the items off of your hands.  It's hard to part ways with things you've had forever, but remember that your Tigger stuffed animal could go to a child that doesn't have anything.  That extra pan you never use could help a family that can't afford to buy a brand new one.  All those blankets grandma gave you 10 Christmas in a row that are sitting in the attic - they could keep a homeless man or woman warm this winter.

I challenge you to get rid of some stuff this Summer.  It's nice to have room for new things and it feels amazing to help someone in need.  The awkward and confused looks on their faces when you do help them is priceless.  Try it!  Spread God's love!

Hebrews 13:16

No comments:

Post a Comment